Trinity Episcopal Church
The following information was extracted from a publication by Trinity Church, April 20, 1997,
as the church celebrated 175 years of Christian Faith in Natchez.
Clergy and Notes
TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH CLERGY
|1790 - 1793||The Rev. Adam CLOUD||Expelled from area in 1793|
|1798 - 1807||The Rev. Adam BOYD||2nd Episcopal clergyman in the MS Territory. Held services in the Natchez Courthouse until his death in 1807|
|1822 - 1825||The Rev. James PILMORE||Established present-day Trinity Church. Building still unfinished when he left Natchez in 1825.|
|1826 - 1829||The Rev. A. A. MULLER||Established first Sunday School. First Diocesan Convenstion was held at Trinity in May, 1826. Organ installed in 1827. A place for people of color to worship was created in the nave.|
|1829||The Rt. Rev. Thomas BROWNELL||Trinity Church was consecrated on December 25, 1829 by Bishop BROWNELL.|
|1830||The Rev. John PORTER||The first priest ordained in MS (by Bishop BROWNELL.) Died October 21, 1830|
|1832 - 1835||The Rev. Pierce CONNELLY||Unanimously elected rector on Feb 2, 1832. Became a Roman Catholic for a few years before returning to the Episcopal faith. Spent his remaining years in Italy.|
|1836 - 1845||The Rev. David C. PAGE||Became rector on February 8, 1836. Trintiy Church, after the
remodeling was completed, was reconsecrated by The
Rt. Rev. Leonidas POLK on April 19, 1940. A month later, the
infamouse 1840 tornado caused $600 in damages.
In 1845, Rev. Page officiated at the marriage of Miss Varina HOWELL and the Honorable Jefferson DAVIS
|1846 - 1849||The Rev. William Mason GILES||A native of Washington, MS. Served until his death.|
|1850 - 1851||The Rt. Rev. William Mercer GREEN||Rev. Green was consecrated as the first Bishop of Mississippi on February 24, 1850, at St. Andrew's Church, Jackson, MS.|
|1853||The Rev. John CHADBURNE||Died of yellow fever at Mammouth Plantation, the home of his father-in-law, Gen. John A. QUITMAN.|
|1858||The Rev. (Professor) Joseph E. INGRAHAM||Formerally a professor of languages at Jefferson Military College. Authored several books.|
|1858 - 1866||The Rev. Gideon Babcock PERRY||From Cleveland, OH.
Gideon Perry was rector of Trinity Natchez in the 1860ís before he went to Hopkinsville, KY. He was born in Rhode Island. For many years he was a Baptist minister until Bp McIlvaine of Ohio persuaded him to come to Cleveland, OH to be rector of St Paulís and founder of Grace Church. He then came to Natchez for some ten years.
His son was also a priest who was for many years in the Diocese of Chicago. He was a first cousin to Oliver Hazard Perry, of Rhode Island.
Additional information submitted by Alexander P. Scott. Thank you, Alexander!
|1866 - 1873||The Rev. Charles B. DANA||Formerly rector of Christ Church, Alexandria, VA where he had the honor of presenting Gen. Robert E. LEE to his Bishop for confirmation.|
|1873 - 1886||The Rev. Alexander MARKS||Responsible for transforming the interior of the church and the addition of a recessed chancel. Built on land donated by A. D. RAWLINGS.|
|1887 - 1892||The Rev. Frederick Ancrum DERROSSET||From Grand Rapids, MI. Continued the plans set in place by Rev. Marks. The builder was William STIETENROTH. Opened parish school for young ladies. Miss Mattie YERGER was the principal. Mrs. HILDRETH was directress, and Miss Jennie STIETENROTH and Miss Aimee YOUNG were assistants.|
|1894 - 1898||The Rev. Charles MORRIS||From Evansville, IL. Discontinued the practice of "renting" the pews. Installed organ obtained from a $3,000 gift from Stephen DUNCAN.|
|1898 - 1900||The Rev. Charles H. B. TURNER||Cleared the church of debt.|
|1900 - 1903||The Rev. Charles L. HOFFMAN||Arrived at Trinity on July 18, 1900.|
|1904 - 1908||The Rev. Joseph B. PERRY||Introduced the Vested Choir consisiting of 61 volunteer singers. Alex PEALE was choirmaster.|
|1908 - 1913||The Rev. Ellwood Steirling GUNN||Arrived at Trinity from Winona, MS|
|1914 - 1946||The Rev. Joseph H. KUEHNLE||Served in Como, MS prior to arriving in Natchez. The Parish house was named Kuehnle Hall as a memorial to the faithful service of Rev. Kuehnle.|
|1946 - 1975||The Rev. Louis O'Vander THOMAS||Established the Trinity Episcopal Day School. A nursery school for four year olds was begun in 1950 in the Parish House, later in the old rectory on S. Commerce.|
|1975 - 1981||The Rev. Martin Luther AGNEW, Jr.||Continued to expand the educational aspects of the church. In 1981 accepted rectorship in Tyler, TX.|
|1981||The Rev. Lowell E. GRISHAM, Jr.||Ordained at Trinity on Feb 24, 1981. Served as interim rector.|
|1982 - 1991||The Rev. Limuel G. PARKS, Jr.||Expanded and renovated Kuehnle Hall, among other construction, completed by Concordia Constrcution Co in Nov, 1988.|
|1991 - 1995||The Rev. Harry E. ALLEN||Became rector aafter the retirement of Rev. Parks. Continued extensive repair and painting to the church building. Constructed outdoor chapel on the Day School grounds by volunteeers.|
|1995 - 1996||The Rev. William T. RICHTER||Interim rector.|
|1996||The Rev. Bronson BRYANT||Interim rector|
|1997 -||The Rev. Zabron Alfred (Chip) DAVIS, III||Installed as the 34th rector of Trinity Church on May 18, 1997|
otherwise indicated, written permission
Copyright 1996 -2006 Ellen Pack All Rights Reserved.