2. Replies to posted messages are automatically sent to the list, unless you have designated a "reply to" address within your own mail program, in which case your address will become the default for anyone who tries to reply to a note you have posted. If you want to send a private reply, be sure that the "TO:" address is to that person's address. It's always a good idea to check the "TO:" address, in any case. Accidents happen.
3. Make your subject line relevant to the subject of the note. Don't be afraid to start a new thread, with a new subject line, if you see that the discussion is beginning to move into another area.
4. Do not send COMMANDS directly to the list. Subscribing, unsubscribing, etc., cannot be accomplished via messages sent to the list. [See below for Command instructions.]
5. This is a NFL! [No Flames List.] If you just can't help yourself, send a nasty note to the individual, but not to the list. FLAMERS ARE SUBJECT TO SWIFT REMOVAL FROM THE LIST!
6. Stay on topic. PACK-L is for genealogical/historical discussions involving associated surnames and events concerned with any PACK familily. General "thank you's" are always appreciated, and it might be kinda hard to keep from briefly sharing your delight over that new little grandbaby. (Besides, we want to know about the new little ones!) Also, we may wish to share URL's, and sometimes we need a little computer help. But please refrain from discussing Cuz Martha's recipe for chicken and dumplings, or the latest TV sitcom. :-)
7. Turn OFF your sig file before sending any commands (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc.)
8. DO NOT SEND FILE ATTACHMENTS TO THE LIST. Not only do attachments chew up valuable band widith, they play havoc with the list.
9. If your E-Mail address changes:
a. UNSUBSCRIBE from the list under your old ID, BEFORE you change the address.
b. SUBSCRIBE to the list under your new ID
10. This list is available in two modes:
a. PACK-L - You will receive each posted note as a separate message.
b. PACK-D - You will receive several postings combined and sent to you as a single large message.
NOTE: Each message submitted to PACK-L will be sent on to everyone in both mail and digest mode. You don't need to send it explicity to both.
11. PACK-L is made possible through the generosity and assistance of ROOTSWEB GENEALOGICAL DATA COOPERATIVE. It is here to facilitate your research, to assist one another, and to help make connections. Let's all do the best we can to make our little corner of the world a pleasant and productive place to visit!
12. Click HERE for a partial list of primary
and secondary surnames associated with the PACK families.
TO SUBSCRIBE in DIGEST MODE:
TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM DIGEST MODE:
TO CHANGE TO NOMAIL (Temporarily halting the subscription)
There is no formal NOMAIL mode. Follow the directions above to UNSUBSCRIBE, then SUBSCRIBE when you are ready to begin reciving messages again.
TO SWITCH FROM EITHER LIST MODE OR DIGEST MODE:
UNSUBSCRIBE from the current mode, according to the above instructions.
SUBSCRIBE to the alternative mode, according to the above instructions.
TO SEND A NOTE TO THE LIST:
NOTE: Each message submitted to PACK-L
will be sent on to everyone in both mail and digest mode. You don't
need to send it explicity to both.