Adams Co, MS Genealogical and Historical Research is an independent,
not-for-profit site brought to you as a public service in the interest of *free* genealogy. 
It is not a part of Ancestry Community.

If you arrived here via a paid site or in frames, you've been ripped off.

Click Here to break out of frames and see what you're missing.

Adams County, Mississippi:

Historic Plantations, Homes, & Buildings

Suggested Reading: Smith, Reed; Owens, John; The Majesty of Natchez; Paddle Wheel Publications, Montgomery, Alabama, 1969.

Go to Historic Sites

.Ellen Pack

Copyright 1997, 1998, 2007  - Ellen J. Pack - All Rights Reserved


Click on photo for larger image
Red brick mansion was built in 1812 by architect Levi WEEKS for Judge Lyman G. HARDING, first Attorney General of MS Territory, and of the State. After his death, the house was purchased by Dr. Stephen DUNCAN from Carlyle, PA. The DUNCAN heirs donated the house and 210 acres to the city of Natchez, in 1911. Located at 400 Duncan Ave, Natchez, MS.
Operated by the Auburn Garden Club. 
Bankers House

Click on photo for larger image
Greek Revival built about 1837.  Listed as a National Historic Landmark property.  The Bankers House was once used as a boarding house.  Infamous outlaws Frank and Jesse James were overnight guests.  Currently owned by Mr. and Mrs. Luther Stowers
Camellia Gardens Queen Anne Victorian home located within the Garden District of Natchez on506 South Union Street. Gardens comprise more than 85 rare old camellias, dogwoods, japanese magnolias and azaleas. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Currently a Bed and Breakfast Hosted by Herb & Marjo Miller
Cedar Grove Plantation Once a prosperous 900 acre cotton plantation located on 150 acres in the Kingston settlement of Natchez, MS. Built by Absalom SHARP, from NJ. Located on Kingston Road. Greek Revival with Doric columns and a rear gallery enclosed at each end by the side walls of the house. 
Currently a Bed and Breakfast, with five rooms. 
617 Kingston Rd. 
Natchez, MS 601-445-0585 

Click on photo for larger image
Built by Ebeneezer Ross who acquired the property by Spanish land grant.  Later acquired by David Mishie, in 1810.  Eventually restored by the Charles Byrne family. .
Clifton Plantation See:  Highpoint B&B on the Clifton Plantation .
Coyle House Ca 1793-94. National Register of Historic Places, and winner of the 1994 Historic Preservation Award presented by the Natchez Historic Society. The Natchez Historic Society may be contacted at P.O. Box 49, Natchez, MS 39121.
Currently a Bed and Breakfast 
Roger and Annie Marie Smith 

Click on photo for larger image
Greek Revival built by William St. John Elliott in about 1840.  Named after his mother's family. 
Contains many of the original furnishings.
Currently the home of Mrs. T. B. Buckles and the Jack Bensons

Click On Photo for 
larger Image
"The House of Gardens" is also sometimes called the most photographed house in American. Of Greek Revival style. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and National Historic Landmark.
Currently a Bed and Breakfast owned by William F. Heins, III. 
Daily tours. 
84 Homochitto St. Natchez, MS 
1-800-433-2445 601-446-8500 

Click on photo for larger image
- -

Click on photo for larger image
Built from 1792 to 1855 by horticulturist Dr. John Carmichael JENKINS. Located on 25 acres, at 81 Dunbar Road, Natchez, MS, about 10 minutes from town. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Currently a Bed and Breakfast. 
Glenfield Plantation . .
Grand Village Of the Natchez Indians Between 1682 and 1729, the Grand Village was the center of activities for the Natchez Indians. Administered by the Department of Archives and History. Free admission
400 Jefferson Davis Boulevard 
Natchez, MS 39120 601-446-6502 
Jefferson College (Historic) Incorporated by an act of the first General Assembly of the MS Territory on May 13, 1802. Named in honor of President Thomas Jefferson. The first educational institution in the Territory. An official state historic site, & listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Located on Hwy 61 in Washington, MS.
Administered by the MS State Dept. of Archives and History. 
Annie Yeager 
Located at 111 South Rankin Street. This small brick house was used as a Catholic acadamy begun by Bishop John Joseph CHANCHE, who arrived in Natchez May 18, 1841. Eventually the property belonged to the STEWART family, who held it for over 100 yerars.  In April, 1971, the Natchez Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy purchased the property from Ruth Stewart Tomlinson, for it's permanent home.  At that time the house was renamed for Mrs. Hugh JUNKIN, then the oldest living member of the Chapter, and who had served as chapter president for many years.
Natchez Chapter 
United Daughters of the Confederacy
Lansdowne Built in 1853 by George M. MARSHALL and his bride, Charlotte HUNT, on grounds first settled by their forebears in 1780. Over 100 acres. Family Cemetery. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Located at 1323 M.L. King Road, Natchez, MS.
Currently a Bed and Breakfast 
P. O. Box 2045 Natchez, MS 
601-446-9401 or 601-442-3109 
Linden A Federal plantation home, containing one of the finest collections of Federal furniture in the South. The doorway was copied for "Tara" in Gone With The Wind. Built ca 1800, and purchased in 1849 by Mrs. Jane Gustine CONNER. Current residents are the sixth generation of the Conner family to reside there. National Register of Historic Places.Located in Natchez off of Melrose Ave.
Currently a Bed and Breakfast 
Open for Touring 



Longwood Called "Nutt's Folley," the current structure was built on the old Longwood Plantation, by Dr. Haller NUTT, as a gift for his beloved wife, Julia. The Civil War interrupted the work, and the house was never completed. The NUTT family resided in the "basement", or first floor level, of the house. For several generatons. Dr. NUTT died of pneumonia in 1864. The house is listed as a National Historic Landmark.
Presented to The Pilgrimage Garden Club by family descendants in 1970. 
Open daily for tours. Gift shop. 
Magnoila Hall Built in 1858 by Thomas HENDERSON, a planter, merchant, and elder in the First Presbyterian Church. Greek Revival architecture. The last mansion to be completed in Natchez prior to the outbreak of the Civil War. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Corner of Washington and Pearl Streets.
Owned by the Natchez Garden Club 
Open daily for tours 
Gift Shop 
Melrose  Built in the 1840's by John MCMURRAN and his wife Mary Louisa TURNER, who sold the plantation in January, 1866. Partially restored by the DAVIS, KELLY, and CALLON families. 
Purchased by the National Park Service in 1990. 
1 Melrose Ave Natchez, MS 
Monmouth Plantation Built in about 1818 by John HANKINSON. After his death, the house was owned and occupied by Gen. John QUITMAN, who married Eliza TURNER. John QUITMAN died from poisoning at a banquet for President BUCHANAN, in 1859. Monmouth is listed as a National Historic Landmark. 
Currently a Bed and Breakfast 
36 Melrose Ave Natchez, MS 39120 
Mount Locust Click HERE for history and photographs. -
Natchez Opera Hall Greek Revival building, aka Institute Hall and Memorial Hall. Abandoned by the city in the 1960's, restoration efforts are currently underway by the Natchez Opera Festival and the Historic Natchez Foundation. Donatons/pledges accepted.
Natchez Opera Festival 
P.O. Box 2207 
Natchez, MS 39120 
Oakland Plantation . .
Oakwood Plantation . .
Ravennaside Built by Mr. & Mrs. James S. FLEMING before 1883. Designed for entertaining, many famous writers, publishers, architects, politicians, dignitaries, etc., have visited Ravennaside.On National Register of Historic Places.
Currently owned by Mr. & Mrs. John Van Hook of McLoud, OK. 
Open 9:00-5:00 
601 S. Union St. 
Natchez, MS 

Click on Photo
for larger image
Built in 1820-23 by Peter and Eliza LITTLE. Located on the site of a French fort, by the same name,that was the first settlement on the MS River. In 1857, the estate was purchased by Andrew WILSON, and was occupied by his descendants until 1958. The house was used as Federal headquarters by Gen. U. S. GRANT during the Civil War. Purhased by The MS State Society Daughters of the American Revolution in 1938. Located on the corners of Canal and Orleans St., Natchez.
Tours Daily on the hour and half-hour. Gift shop.
Riverside . .
Stanton Hall Built in 1857 by Frederick STANTON. White stucco building in the heart of Natchez. Capt. Thomas ROSE, architech. All major work was completed by Natchez architects, builders, artists, and finishers. 
Purchased in 1938 by the Pilgrimage Garden Club 
Stratton Chapel Houses collection of historic photographs printed from original negatives of photographers J. M. WHITE, Henry D. GURNEY, Henry C. NORMAN, and Earl NORMAN. Ca 1850-1951. Includes thousands of negatives, both glass and celluloid. Collection presented by the First Presbyterian Church in Natchez, MS.
Collection owned & preserved by Thomas H. Gandy and Joan Gandy, of Natchez. Open Daily. 
405 State Street Natchez, MS 
Suggested Contribution $3.00. 
The Briars

Click on photo for larger image
Overlooking the Mississippi River, The Briars is one of the finest examples of early Southern plantation-style architecture. Site of the marriage of Jefferson DAVIS and Varina HOWELL, in Feb., 1845. Built 1814-18, presumably designed by architect Levi WEEKS of PA. Walkways lead to a guest house, dining pavilion and observation point.
Currently a Bed and Breakfast owned by Robert E. Canon and Newton Wilds. 
31 Irving Lane 
Natchez, MS 39120 
The Cedars Plantation Built by Col. James WOOD, from MD, in 1830, as a wedding present for his daughter Maria. White two-storied building overlooks 176 acres of landscaped grounds. Located in Church Hill, just north of Natchez, on Route 553. Listed on the National Register of Historic Homes.
Restored by current owners Richard and Glenda Robinson. Currently a Bed and Breakfast. 
Fax 601-445-2372 
The House on Ellicott Hill Situated on historic Ellicott Hill overlooking the MS River. Built ca 1798 on site where, in 1797, Maj. Andrew ELLICOTT, on orders from George Washington, defied Spanish authority and raised the American flag forthe first time in the Lower MS Valley. On 215 South Pearl St, Natchez. Listed as a National Historic Landmark.
Purchased in 1934 by the Natchez Garden Club